The overall vision for the CDT and the related UK Research Centre in NDE is to develop step-change NDE technology to meet new engineering challenges identified by some of the most important industrial growth sectors in the UK economy, by exploiting a powerful range of world leading multi-disciplinary research capabilities.
The aim for this new Centre is to move the focus of research in NDE from qualitative to quantitative methods, and hence integrate NDE into the engineering life cycle. The research will be directed towards the long term vision for NDE requirements developed by our industrial partners. The challenges include meeting the demands of new manufacturing processes, new engineering designs and materials, new operating conditions and life extension of ageing infrastructure.
Research projects will span the range of topics indicated in the diagram below.
|Enhancing Quantitative NDE||
|Delivering Quantitative NDE||
|NDE for Quantitative Monitoring & Smart structures||
Examples of previous projects
- 2D ultrasonic array system for the in-situ inspection of single crystal turbine blades
- NDE to reduce defect-related failures in turbocharger turbine wheels
- Thermography for power station environments
- Guided waves for power plant applications
- Use of microwaves for the detection of Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI)